Wednesday 26 December 2012

Tragic News

I have only recently heard (within the last half hour) that Gerry Anderson has died... he passed away this afternoon according to the BBC, at the age of 83.

Gerry's series were such a big part of my childhood, and made me want to make models.  As a child I had the Angel Interceptor from Airfix, as well as the Dinky toys from Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and UFO.  His series introduced me to science fiction (as well as Dr Who and Star Trek).

Rediscovering the Supermarionation series thanks to video in the '80s rekindled my love for Gerry's creations, so much so that I have never lost interest in them since then.  Indeed I am now a bigger fan of his work than at any point in my nearly 49 years on this planet.


Thank you for adding such a HUGE part of the soundtrack to my childhood... many millions of fans the world over will be feeling upset today, but we should rejoice in the fact that you leave us with a legacy that will never age, will never lose its magic.

Rest in Peace, Gerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment